Using our full plans set, build your own original John Kovac model Pine Harp, a 26 String Paraguayan-styled folk harp.
The Pine Harp plans are a complete set of plans with full-sized, cut-out templates & assembly instructions and include a supplemental instructional DVD format to assist in your harp's assembly. The DVD also has a section on tuning and playing by ear.
Plans-only sets do not come with wood, strings, hardware or surface finishes. We no longer supply strings or hardware for this particular Kovac Specialty harp. Such materials are available on Amazon, at hardware stores & at various big-name harp stores that sell harp strings.
The Pine Harp's Description
This original Kovac model Pine Harp is a Paraguayan-inspired, lightweight & compact 26-string folk harp for the DIYs on a budget but, want to get into harping inexpensively, and sooner than later.
The Pine Harp is based on using widely available, ordinary, or higher quality pine. Be sure there are no holes or knots that might fall out later & weaken the critical structure of the harp.
This is a relatively fast and very easy project to get a harp student, beginning adult or child, up and running, playing the harp with very little upfront expense or investment into uncertain, future musicians.
The Pine Harp's strings are a bit lighter in string tension & closer spacing.
The harp's scale starts at its low C and ends about 3.5 Octaves above it (G).
The harp is very simple to put together & can be assembled in about a day or so using basic hand tools after the wood has been cut & finished. Surface finishing could take a day or two longer, depending on your chosen finish & method of application. Stringing and tuning will take a day longer.
See John Kovac's classic Pine Harp Demo Video #1 on YouTube.
The Pine Harp requires the following components, parts & pieces:
- Wood for Sides, Neck, Pillar, Top & Bottom Plates, Soundboard, etc.
- Surface Finishes (stains, paint, lacquer, etc.)
- 26 Nylon Mono-filament Strings
- 26 String Beads (for knots)
- 26 Sound Board String Grommets
- 26 String Tuning Machines for Standard Acoustic Guitars
- All Necessary Hardware per plans
- 2 Rubber Feet with Screws
- 1 String Winder
- Custom Neck String Threader
- Electronic Note e-Tuners are highly recommended. (It is not a good idea to use a piano to tune your harp.)
26 String Pine Harp Plans:
Note: These plans are offered in their as-is, original & historic format. Some easy, linear extrapolation of the templates may be required at a few points. See our notice here.
If you make a mistake on your Kovac harp creation, even if not caused by us, please, notify us right away and we will see how we can help you to complete your harp anyway. You never know how we might be able to help you, which is our goal; for you to be successful in your harp building & playing! We won't abandon you in your harp building process after the purchase, either. Let's work together!
- Please Note: Only purchases within the U.S.A. are accepted at this time. No exceptions.
- Products are normally shipped up to 48 hours (2 Days, if before Noon) after being ordered & are shipped on regular business days, Monday to Friday, excluding holidays & weekends. (Though, some orders may ship on Saturday mornings, if they come in after 12 noon on Fridays or Thursdays if Friday is a holiday.)
- All orders, except Pre-Built Harps will go out via the lowest U.S.P.S. Best Rates for the Fastest delivery, including but not limited to U.S.P.S. Priority Mail. (Includes U.S.P.S. First Class Letter or First Class Package Services.)
- It is less expensive for you if we add shipping separately for each complete order instead of hiding it within increased prices for each & every one of our products while making the bogus claim you are getting "free" shipping & handling. No Carrier ships for free!
- Please, be aware Black Friday, Christmas Season, weather-related emergencies & various man-made disasters often delay deliveries; often without notice to us or you. JK Harps accept no liabilities for such delays which are always beyond our own control.
- REMINDER: String Tuning Mechanisms & Wound Bass Strings may have a back-order delay in shipping of approximately from two (2) to three (3) weeks due to their custom nature.
- When any delayed orders finally ship, you will be immediately notified by routine email.
- All orders will be tracked and you can be updated, via carrier email, if you choose, as the process goes along.
- All orders are fully insured per standard carrier insurance services.
- All shipping & handling will include standard fees for shipping materials & order handling.
- A viable shipping address is required and we are not responsible for orders not deliverable at your end.
- Any orders over $100 will require a delivery signature at the address you provided for shipment receiving.
- Pre-built harps will ship via UPS Ground Service including a Special Delivery Harp flat fee.
- UPS cannot use P.O. Boxes, etc., for delivery. A street address is required to be delivered to your home or business location.
- All harp deliveries will require a signature upon receiving. No signature; no delivery.
DAMAGE to SHIPMENT
- You must check your delivery for any damage or loss immediately upon its arrival in the unlikely event of any shipping issues with the product caused by the 3rd party, the delivery carrier.
- Take pictures, if possible, and notify the Carrier immediately of any damages to or missing order(s). (Within 24 hours or less.) John Kovac Harps by Davy C (David J Clark, Agent) will not be held responsible for damage to or losses of orders done while in transit. Claims will be made to the shipping carrier immediately in such cases. (But, inform us also to keep us in the loop if anything might be done on our end.)
- If you fail to notify the carrier in a timely manner and the claim gets rejected, you may forfeit your right to redress with the shipping carrier.
- For clarification, but not in all cases, once you make a claim with your delivering shipment carrier, and they approve your claim & finally pay your for your loss or damages, then you will forward us that payment. Once cleared with our financial institution, then we will immediately ship out to you a replacement order(s).
Photo Credit: Matthew Henry