This is the classic, must-have John Kovac DIY harp-making book.
Using this plans book, you can make your own 22, 29, & 36 String Kovac Paraguayan-style Folk Harps!
NOTE: This HMS Plans book is included in all of our Kovac Paraguayan-Style Folk Harp Kits. No need to purchase it separately, unless you need more than one book, like for a gift to someone else.
Includes full-sized, re-useable, cut-out templates with instructions & specifications for each harp!
We also provide complete kits of strings & hardware for your harp creation. Go to: Harp Kits
Shown are the 3 famous John Kovac Harps you can make with his plan book:
(John Kovac with his Paraguayan Style Folk Harp Creations)
"John Kovac's approach to harp making is direct, cheerful, and simple... Building a harp of his design doesn't require a lot of time or woodworking skills. The brilliant sound of these harps rivals the best that can be found." - John Lozier, Harper, and Harpmaker - https://www.harpingforharmony.org/
"John Kovac's gift is his ability to simplify harp making; making the construction of this most difficult instrument a possibility for many more people." - James Jones, Master Luthier - https://www.jamesjonesinstruments.com/
In this historic, "HMS" book:
- If you know how to use a drill press, circular saw, jigsaw, router, and optional power sander, you can make your own harp from scratch in about a week or so for the largest harp. Smaller harps may take a bit less time.
- Plans are included for the Paraguayan style of the folk harp which is known for its ease of play with a bit narrower string spacing with light to moderate tension and lighter weight & overall smaller sizes compared with similar stringed, Celtic folk harps. And, most importantly, these harps' musical tones offer clear treble with firm bass.
- Plans include detailed, step-by-step instructions, lists of materials and size specifications, etc., harp history and some harp-making techniques & discussion, etc.
- Plans include pull-out full-size pages of templates for each size of harp (22, 29, & 36 Strings). Pages will need to be pulled or cut out and some taped together. (Some easy adjustments to the linear lineup of the component templates will be necessary for better accuracy.)
- In the book, John Kovac lists out the necessary wood lumber required to build your harps. He leaves you with no guessing as to what you will need. And, his layouts of the harps uses minimal lumber components & is set up in a very efficient manner, leaving almost no left-over scrap wood.
- Go to my Harp Resources page to find the three Lists that show you the wood materials, strings, hardware, & tools required for each harp.
- Relative measurements are included so you don't have to rely on just the templates.
- Large 8 x 14-inch book printed in black & white.
- The book includes pictures of the harp-making process and shared photo examples of harps made by others who have followed this book.
A supplemental PDF document package is included with this HMS book and will be emailed to you after purchase. It is full of helpful suggestions & a few amendments (clarifications) to the book. To review it now, go to this HMS link.
Sample pages from the book:
See our Harp Resources pages for more resources
Please take note: John Kovac's engineered string sizes were changed after publishing his various plans & Harpmaking Made Simple book (HMS), etc. We now only specify the updated string sizes recommended by traditional Paraguayan harp makers from South America.
So, please, ignore the obsolete string dimensions in the HMS book. On our Harp Resources pages, we list the correct sizes.
If you make a mistake on your harp, even if not caused by us, please, notify us right away and we will see how we can help you to complete your harp anyway. You never know how we might be able to help you, which is our goal; for you to be successful in your harp building & playing! We won't abandon you in your harp-building process after the purchase, either. Let's work together!
Happy Creek Press, Virginia
Copyright 2003, 3rd Edition
- Please Note: Only purchases within the U.S.A. are accepted at this time. No exceptions.
- Products are normally shipped up to 48 hours (2 Days, if before Noon) after being ordered & are shipped on regular business days, Monday to Friday, excluding holidays & weekends. (Though, some orders may ship on Saturday mornings, if they come in after 12 noon on Fridays or Thursdays if Friday is a holiday.)
- All orders, except Pre-Built Harps will go out via the lowest U.S.P.S. Best Rates for the Fastest delivery, including but not limited to U.S.P.S. Priority Mail. (Includes U.S.P.S. First Class Letter or First Class Package Services.)
- It is less expensive for you if we add shipping separately for each complete order instead of hiding it within increased prices for each & every one of our products while making the bogus claim you are getting "free" shipping & handling. No Carrier ships for free!
- Please, be aware Black Friday, Christmas Season, weather-related emergencies & various man-made disasters often delay deliveries; often without notice to us or you. JK Harps accept no liabilities for such delays which are always beyond our own control.
- REMINDER: String Tuning Mechanisms & Wound Bass Strings may have a back-order delay in shipping of approximately from two (2) to three (3) weeks due to their custom nature.
- When any delayed orders finally ship, you will be immediately notified by routine email.
- All orders will be tracked and you can be updated, via carrier email, if you choose, as the process goes along.
- All orders are fully insured per standard carrier insurance services.
- All shipping & handling will include standard fees for shipping materials & order handling.
- A viable shipping address is required and we are not responsible for orders not deliverable at your end.
- Any orders over $100 will require a delivery signature at the address you provided for shipment receiving.
- Pre-built harps will ship via UPS Ground Service including a Special Delivery Harp flat fee.
- UPS cannot use P.O. Boxes, etc., for delivery. A street address is required to be delivered to your home or business location.
- All harp deliveries will require a signature upon receiving. No signature; no delivery.
DAMAGE to SHIPMENT
- You must check your delivery for any damage or loss immediately upon its arrival in the unlikely event of any shipping issues with the product caused by the 3rd party, the delivery carrier.
- Take pictures, if possible, and notify the Carrier immediately of any damages to or missing order(s). (Within 24 hours or less.) John Kovac Harps by Davy C (David J Clark, Agent) will not be held responsible for damage to or losses of orders done while in transit. Claims will be made to the shipping carrier immediately in such cases. (But, inform us also to keep us in the loop if anything might be done on our end.)
- If you fail to notify the carrier in a timely manner and the claim gets rejected, you may forfeit your right to redress with the shipping carrier.
- For clarification, but not in all cases, once you make a claim with your delivering shipment carrier, and they approve your claim & finally pay your for your loss or damages, then you will forward us that payment. Once cleared with our financial institution, then we will immediately ship out to you a replacement order(s).
Photo Credit: Matthew Henry